Wednesday 21 December 2011

Student bingo

Posted by Jean Adams

Every year I supervise a number of undergraduate and postgraduate students doing project work. Mostly, I love this part of my job. I love students’ enthusiasm. I love seeing them progress from unsure about everything, to confident expert. And I love amusing myself by playing student bingo.

Student bingo can be played alone or in groups.

Here's how to play:

1. Choose your student.

2. Write a list of the top five rooky errors associated with your student's project. These might include: failing to back up the only copy of a thesis in progress; failing to plan enough time for obtaining ethics permission; failing to learn how to use EndNote early on leading to a referencing melt-down on the day before submission etc.

3. Warn your student early that they are likely to make these errors.

4. Check frequently that these errors have not been made.

5. Tick off the errors as they are made.

6. Never, ever express disappointment that your student has made an error that you expressly warned them about (remember the supervisor = mother rule).

7. If playing in a group, the first supervisor to tick off all their errors and stand up in the middle of the open-plan office shouting "STUDENT BINGO" is the winner.
Great Yarmouth bingo




No comments:

Post a Comment