Friday 1 October 2021

“Next slide, please!” Newcastle children’s reflections on the pandemic

 Posted by Laura Basterfield, Research Associate, Newcastle University

Often in research, once we’ve collected the data, analysed and published it, we don’t have the opportunity to go back to the participants to discuss what we found. When children are involved, we may give a feedback presentation at a school assembly, but let’s be honest it can be difficult to make Powerpoint fun!



I’ve worked closely with Walkergate Community School over the last few years on my research into children’s physical fitness and mental wellbeing and I wanted to deliver my feedback in an assembly that the children would enjoy. I thought the best way to do that might be to let them do it themselves, as who knows what children like better than other children? And I am so pleased I did; it was a fascinating process. 

The ‘Young Science Communicators’ project was due to have taken place in June/July 2020, but had been delayed due to the COVID-19 school closures. Whilst I was initially disappointed last year, the realities of the past 12 months brought an added dimension, intensity and poignancy that would not have been there otherwise.  

There weren’t many rules, but the assembly should include some of the results of the study, including both the physical and mental benefits of physical fitness and activity. Other than that I was happy for the children to take the assembly wherever they saw fit. To start, thirteen Year 6 pupils (aged 10-11 years) discussed with me the project specifically, fitness in general, and about the impact the COVID-19 lockdowns and school closures had on them and their families. Then I taught the children some of the key skills they would need to do my research. I wanted them to really understand why I do what I do, and what better way than to then practice on your friends?! There were some wonderful comments from the children about how they liked the experience: “I enjoyed it because I want to do your job when I’m older” and “I liked being in control!” (which must be quite unfamiliar at 11 years old), and they quickly learned both the techniques and how to talk politely to their class-mates! 

The following week it was over to the children and their ideas. The goal was for them to create an assembly, film their performance, and share it with the rest of the school – all within three days. Scott and Claire are practitioners with local theatre company Mortal Fools and they led the children on a games-based journey to increase their confidence, public speaking and team-working skills. The children were all totally engaged and willing to share their thoughts, feelings and experiences to create a collegiate and supportive atmosphere. For me as an observer at this point, I was struck by the children’s recreations of the school closure periods and how they articulated their feelings: “I had no motivation to do anything”, “I was lonely”, “frustrated”, “isolated”. This was especially the case for those without their own mobile phone – some were unable to speak to friends for weeks. They also showed a mature insight into how the adults in their life had been affected, acting out money worries, family health issues, the stress of getting children to do schoolwork and go to bed on time, when there was nothing to get up for the next day…

As the group moved on to the awkwardness of meeting up with people after such a long time “Errr… so have you been up to much?!”, to their joy and excitement of seeing family, friends and teachers again, the whole process felt reflective and cathartic. Claire and Scott’s skill was evident as the children’s confidence grew before my eyes. Along the way the children had us in stitches with impressions of Boris Johnson, ‘next slide please’, and Joe Wicks.

Finally, they got to film their creation with the help of a proper film-maker. Most scenes only took a couple of takes, and the children showed incredible focus and concentration throughout. The final co-produced 9-minute film is informative, funny and affecting, and the children should be incredibly proud of their efforts. We still weren’t able to completely escape COVID, as three children missed the filming day due to a positive case in their class, but their input on the previous days made it a true team effort. 

The process showed me how important it is that we involve children not just in our research but in everything that affects them – simply asking children how they are, what they are feeling, and what they would like to be involved in gives us a hugely important insight into their world. 

I hope you enjoy their film.


Thanks go to all the children and staff at Walkergate Community School; Scott Wilson, Clare Rimington and Helen Ferguson at Mortal Fools, and Matt Jamie the film-maker. Permission to share this film has been granted by the parents and school of the children involved. 

Funding from EngageFMS at Newcastle University supported this project. 

Originally written for VOICE.

No comments:

Post a Comment