Tuesday 12 July 2022

The Fuse conference in four Public Partner poems

How to capture the essence of a conference about setbacks, successes and 'brilliant failures' in public health research - an event report, a news story, the results of a survey?  What about in the prose of our public partners who provided their expertise as panellists?  That is what they suggested and here they are.

The 5th Fuse International Conference on Knowledge Exchange in Public Health took place between 15-16 June 2022 in Newcastle upon Tyne.  Find out more about the event, speakers and panellists on the conference website.



..the Fuse experience

PJ Atkinson, public member of Gateshead Poverty Truth Commission

PJ in the centre of a fishbowl conversation
Recently I was Invited to chat with Fuse.

Well it was a Wednesday, had nowt to lose.

They numerify and storify researching for Public Health.

And let me tell you, with very little wealth.

We had main stage speakers, panels, and side room topics, it was never droll, even sat in a fish bowl!!!

We discussed, pyramid breaking, old ideas smashing, and reforming, these people are fun never boring.

But most of all, they turn setbacks into learning, with passion and resolve.

Fuse and its people, want to adapt, grow and evolve.


Knowledge Flow

David Black, Fuse public partner and hospital governor 

(r-l) David and Irene providing their expertise on how to turn setbacks in knowledge exchange into successes

After waiting too long the day came along and it's off to the conference for me.

Knowing where I'm going, despite the traffic slowing, I'm knowing I'll be on time.

Must listen today then whisk my thoughts away to plan what I'll say tomorrow.

A script's what I need after taking heed of the need for brevity.

 

We're off and running, the introductions are made and it's welcome to one and all.

A programme, like life, which can be subject to change.

Reflections on knowledge mobilisation and mistakes.

Evidence of local knowledge exchanged at place.

 

Amid the plethora of parallel sessions and plenary panels.

The exchange of views over coffees and teas.

The paper presentations and interactive poster sessions.

Fishbowls of hot topics and Cabaret of dangerous ideas.

 

A modicum of the local and a smorgasbord of internationalism.

I entered to play at the start of the day, full of eagerness to learn.

To share a thought and to be taught a lesson by all in attendance.

Public health, its impacts and strength of this particular human endeavour.

 

Day two is here and I'm ready, with no fear.

Up on the stage, knowing what to say and trying to keep it brief.

Then before you know it's off, we go and ending with applause all-round.

To have a voice and speak it out, it's a great place to be.

 

Good feedback I'm feeling, plenary speaking's appealing.

Networking and knowledge sharing, I'm doing.

A supportive, safe space, it's a real great place.

For setbacks and solutions to be shared.

 

So, to the end game, the main themes and learning all noted.

My highlight, the brilliant afternoon keynote.

Institute of Brilliant Failures with celebration, laughter, a new way of thinking.

A refreshing concept, informing my future knowledge sharing and learning.


My First Fuse Conference

Margaret Ogden, Patient and Public Involvement (PPI) representative from County Durham

Margaret (right) sharing her experience of the importance of setbacks in knowledge exchange in public health

I went to the Fuse conference in mid June 22

PPI members were invited, I met more than a few

The focus was knowledge exchange, so meaningful to me

In presenting I’d soon see how dynamic I could be

I loved the international element to this annual conference

Diversity was a theme that would get so much reference

Seldom heard communities, always a huge challenge

Dissemination of info too, a challenging thing to manage

Just how effective can knowledge exchange be

With the right expertise, it can be achieved quite easily.


I began my talk with detail of a planned PPI event

That didn’t go well, in spite of the hours which we spent

Planning, collaborating, finding the right venue

But with few attendees present, it can all go askew

We’d do better next time, was our overriding thought

For on that occasion, limited data was caught

I also referred to a further memorable meeting

Where conflict had arisen, it could have been defeating

It was really a clash of people with strong wills

I had to dig deep for new negotiating skills.


As a panel, I felt we made a great team

This experience had totally elevated my self esteem

My first face to face high profile event

At a nearby location, that was heaven sent

My mobility had worsened in the last two years

Confidence had been dented, I now had fears

I needed to get stamina back and level of fitness

I imagine my struggles were hard to witness

But as I move forward with determination and fortitude

I thanked my hosts for the invite which I’d accepted with gratitude

I didn’t make the second day of this interactive event

That had been a real shame, was my only lament.



Knitting out the Knots 

Irene Soulsby, Fuse public member from Gateshead
 

We talked a lot 

Knitting out the knots 

We talked and talked and talked 

A LOT! 

Knitting out the knots 

Comparing designs 

Line by line 

Reknitting stiches  

Holes and lines 

Redesigning our designs 

Comparing setbacks and successes 

Knitting them into things that would impress us  

Learning from each other 

With enthusiasm and sharing 

Creating our new designs.


Many thanks to our public partners for taking the time to write their fantastic poems for this Fuse Open Science Blog. 

If you are interested in joining the Fuse Public Partner Network please visit the dedicated Public Involvement section on our website.

No comments:

Post a Comment